Automation, robotics and the use of sophisticated computer software and programs characterize a career in artificial intelligence (AI). People interested in pursuing jobs in this field require specific education based on foundations of math, technology, logic, and engineering perspectives. Written and verbal communication skills are also important to convey how AI tools and services are effectively employed within industry settings. To acquire these skills, those with an interest in an AI career should investigate the various career choices available within the field.
Skills and Abilities Helpful to Careers in AI
A good candidate should have a deep understanding of a broad set of algorithms and applied math, problem solving and analytical skills, probability and statistics and programming languages such as Python, C++, R or Java. Beyond all, Machine Learning requires innate curiosity, so if you never lost the curiosity you had when you were a child, you’re an ideal candidate for Machine Learning. Additionally, AI specialists need technical skills to design, maintain and repair technology and software programs. Finally, AI candidates must learn how to translate highly technical information in ways that others can understand in order to carry out their jobs. This requires good communication and the ability to work with colleagues on a team.
Educational Requirements for Careers in AI
To have an academic career in Artificial Intelligence people usually go for Research or PhDs as it fetches them a great motivation to learn and a stage to prove their abilities in R&D departments. Entry level positions require at least a bachelor’s degree while positions entailing supervision, leadership or administrative roles frequently require master’s or doctoral degrees. Typical coursework involves study of:
– Various level of math, including probability, statistics, algebra, calculus, logic and algorithms.
– Bayesian networking or graphical modeling, including neural nets.
– Physics, engineering and robotics.
– Computer science, programming languages and coding.
– Cognitive science theory
– Techniques like multi-agent systems, reasoning, or cognitive processing.
Candidates can find degree programs that offer specific majors in AI or pursue an AI specialization from within majors such as computer science, health informatics, graphic design, information technology or engineering.
Types of AI Careers
A career in artificial intelligence can be realized within a variety of settings including private companies, public organizations, education, healthcare facilities, government agencies and the military. Some positions may require security clearance prior to hiring depending on the sensitivity of information employees may be expected to handle. Examples of specific jobs held by AI professionals include:
- Software analysts and developers.
- Computer scientists and computer engineers.
- Algorithm specialists.
- Research scientists and engineering consultants.
- Mechanical engineers and maintenance technicians.
- Manufacturing and electrical engineers.
- Surgical technicians working with robotic tools.
- Medical health professionals working with artificial limbs, prosthetics, hearing aids and vision restoration devices.
- Military and aviation electricians working with flight simulators, drones and armaments.
- Graphic art designers, digital musicians, entertainment producers, textile manufacturers and architects.
- Post-secondary professors at technical and trade schools, vocational centers and universities.
The average salary for “M.S. in Artificial Intelligence” ranges from approximately $77,602 per year for Research Scientist to $135,260 per year for Machine Learning Engineer. The average salary for “Artificial Intelligence Engineer” ranges from approximately $93,625 per year for R&D Engineer to $135,260 per year for Machine Learning Engineer.
Keep up to date on latest research in AI — there is so much advancement happening every single day. Once you’ve finished your degree and gain some experience you can start positioning yourself to current or prospective employers as someone with skills and knowledge in machine learning and AI.
Please check my BlockDelta profile for my full contact details.